- 4 ounces high-quality baguette
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic head (about 12 cloves), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon Pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 8 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees
- Once the oven is preheated, place baguette on a baking sheet and toast until very browned, almost burnt. This usually takes about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove oven and let cool
- Break or slice bread into 2-inch pieces
- Heat 7 tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat
- Add the break pieces, and reduce heat to medium
- Turn the pieces often to allow break to toast and soak up oil until it is golden brown
- Remove bread and set aside
- Wipe pot clean.
- Add garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot
- Cook over medium-high heat, making sure to stir constantly, until the garlic is golden brown
- Stir in paprika and add broth and salt.
- Bring this to a boil
- Add bread to pot
- Reduce heat to medium-low and maintain a simmer
- Add sherry vinegar and cook, stirring occasionally to break up the bread for about 25 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed
- When ready to serve, bring soup to a summer over medium-high heat.
- Stirring constant, slowly pour beaten eggs into hot soup
- Serve hot